Carbon Monoxide

We have a duty of care in protecting our nation against silent killers such as Carbon Monoxide poisoning yet in this the 21st century we are openly falling short unlike other countries .  In truth we have both the knowledge and skilled workforce to become leaders in minimising this threat.

In comparison it is the legal requirement in Britain that annual P.A.T testing of electrical equipment in the workplace such as computers, telephones and even the humble kettle is not only carried out by a professional but also stamped and electronically logged.   It is compulsory to have a yearly vehicle M.O.T whereby an emissions test is once again performed and logged on database.  And so it becomes apparent herein that there is a flaw in the legal conformity in regards to safe-guarding against Carbon Monoxide poisoning.  One could sadly point out that perhaps it will yet again take the tragedy of a Parliamentary Members relative to fall victim before such an enforced method of testing becomes a legal requirement.

Experience has taught us to act vigilantly and where necessary to use all resources to protect both our children and adults from predators intent on putting lives at risk.  The media are a vital tool in these measures.  Therefore in acknowledging Carbon Monoxide as a killer we should again call upon such measures to ensure the people are aware of this silent threat to life and to minimise its effect.

HSE have established that E.F.G.A testers are the only accurate and safe way of determining Carbon Monoxide levels and yet in servicing our appliances there is no legal requirement for such equipment to be used.

Carbon Monoxide detectors are vital in this fight against the silent killer and as such could be issued by the local council (costs added to bill) or indeed in times of such prosperity for energy providers could become a stipulation of their care of duty to the customer and tested alongside the servicing of boilers.

SMART-METERS

In our haste to move with the times we should not ignore reported health concerns by other nations following the implementation of these meters.  In fact in addition to any risk of Electromagnetic Hypersensitivity there is also the very predominant concern of stress to those most vulnerable not only in rising utility costs but the fear of how this new equipment will control their provision of energy.

CONCLUSION

It has become apparent that we are failing in establishing safe installation practices ie, of gas flues in voids, yet other EU countries are forging ahead.  And again that we are not delivering the message that this silent killer is amongst us and will strike without warning.
Therein it would be an advantageous move to gain the nations trust by putting safety first by forewarning and forearming against the threat of Carbon Monoxide poisoning; which as we know could save up to £178 million per year, also in putting the consumer first by further research on the effects of smart-meters to both health and also financial wellbeing before installations are carried out.